Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Don't recall TurboTax giving me the option to e-file my 1040X Amended 2023 Tax Return

I don't recall TurboTax giving me the option to e-file my 1040X amended 2023 tax return.  Did I just miss seeing the option to e-file it? 

Previous to amending my tax return I had already saved all (page) versions of the original tax return on my PC with the error that needed correcting.  After amending the tax return I saved all (page) versions of the 1040X amended tax return on my PC. 

Not seeing the option to e-file my amended tax return I just followed the TurboTax instructions and printed the minimal page version of the 1040X amended tax return - signed and date it - and mailed it via Priority Mail to the the Department of the Treasury - Internal Revenue Service in Austin, Texas.     

The correction was to delete the same interest amount  that was reported in Box 1 from Box 3 which doubled the amount of interest I actually received from a Payer.  

I also manually entered my Capital Loss Carryover (from line 13 of my  Capital Loss Carryover
Worksheet) on line 14 of the Schedule D Part ll - because for some reason the carryover amount failed to carryover.  I presume entering the amount on line 14 of the Schedule D Part ll was the proper way to handle that.  

I'm confused by not seeing a way for me to e-file my amended tax return.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Don't recall TurboTax giving me the option to e-file my 1040X Amended 2023 Tax Return

Your 2023, 2022, or 2021 federal Form 1040-X amended return is eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. 

However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

Since you're amending a 2023 return, had your original return been Efiled and Accepted?   Had you already received your Refund?

If you did not see the option to Efile, it could be that you were not eligible to do so.

However, Amended returns takes months to process (either Efiled or mailed) so no immediate concern is necessary.  You have up to three years to Amend a Return.

Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The IRS does accept amended returns electronically, and TurboTax can file your current year's amended tax returns using this method.  The link to the IRS tips is outdated.  

However, TurboTax is not yet processing amended tax returns for 2024. 

Please check back in early March to prepare and file amended returns.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, don't e-file it if you already mailed it.   You are asking for extra delays by submitting 2 amendments.   

10 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Your 2023, 2022, or 2021 federal Form 1040-X amended return is eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. 

However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

Since you're amending a 2023 return, had your original return been Efiled and Accepted?   Had you already received your Refund?

If you did not see the option to Efile, it could be that you were not eligible to do so.

However, Amended returns takes months to process (either Efiled or mailed) so no immediate concern is necessary.  You have up to three years to Amend a Return.

Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov.

@MarilynG1 wrote:

Yes, my original 2023 tax return was e-filed in late January and I have already received a refund. 

I was fully expecting to see the option to e-file the amended return but never did, so I printed it, signed & dated it and mailed it via Priority Mail.

It was a real bummer, the option for me to e-file my 2023 amended return was not clearly made available IMO because I was definitely looking for it, and cannot believe I missed it. It's mailed to the IRS in Austin, TX now.  

@MarilynG1 wrote:

@MarilynG1 ,

I e-filed my original 2023 return and have received the refund due me.

I amended my 2023 return with  Federal Form 1040-X and was expecting to e-file it as you suggested (above) that I should be eligible to do so. 

However, this message (see below) is what I received from TurboTax: 

To file your amended returns, you’ll need to print and mail them
Amended returns cannot be electronically filed (e-filed).
If you don’t mail your returns, they won’t be filed.

Is there a logical explanation why TurboTax didn't allow my 1040X amended tax return to be e-filed? 

Or was the information given me about being able to e-file my 1040X amended tax return totally incorrect?   

The IRS says an amended 1040X tax return cannot be e-filed. 

The IRS says: Be advised – you can’t e-file an amended return. A paper form must be mailed in. 

Link to IRS about amended returns ► https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tipss/oc-amended-returns.pdf

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The IRS does accept amended returns electronically, and TurboTax can file your current year's amended tax returns using this method.  The link to the IRS tips is outdated.  

However, TurboTax is not yet processing amended tax returns for 2024. 

@SusanY1 wrote:

The IRS does accept amended returns electronically, and TurboTax can file your current year amended tax returns using this method.  However, TurboTax is not yet processing amended tax returns for 2024. 

TurboTax is processing amended tax returns now. Because I mailed my amended tax return in yesterday. I presume you probably meant that in early March TurboTax can e-file amended tax returns, whereas e-filing amended tax returns s not ready yet until early March.

► Question: Since I mailed my amended tax return in yesterday, do I dare e-file my amended tax return in early March when e-filing is ready - or is this duplication (mailed & e-filed) likely to just cause a problem?  So, should I e-file it too or just let the mailed version I've already sent be the only one they get?    

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, don't e-file it if you already mailed it.   You are asking for extra delays by submitting 2 amendments.   

@DawnC wrote:

Agree - I think the IRS having only one amendment is best. 

I just wish the IRS was getting my 1040X with my 1040 that has my 2023 Capital loss Carryover amount actually printed out on Lines 14, 15 & 16 of Schedule D Part II & III instead of the one I mailed-in that has my manually written-in carryover amount on the form. 

Also, I had  a $5 capital gain from a Cash-in-lieu of fractional share payment I received that is properly reported on Schedule D Part I, but I failed to include this $5 in the manually written-in 2023 Capital loss Carryover amount I entered on Line 16 of Schedule D Part III. Hopefully the IRS will see the $5 gain and take care of correcting the omission.  

Maybe I'm just too particular (OCD) about having all i's dotted and t's crossed so all details are properly in perfect order.    

LTrail7

TurboTax does give you the option to e-file a 1040X for 2023 . Just look for the fine print under where it says to print and mail. It simply says to click on FILE above to e-file if you are eligible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies