Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax flag the need to file an out of State Tax Return?

This past year I completed my return with TurboTax Premier. We had a little bit of cash rent income from Indiana which we entered in the application as income. We live in SC. We e-filed both Federal and SC state returns and no errors or issues where found.

I just recently wondered if we needed to file an Indiana state return for that cash rent. However, TurboTax did not flag the need to download the Indiana state return or to even file one for Indiana. I would have expected it to do so if needed.

Additionally, I just brought up last year's 2021 return in TurboTax, and went to the state section. "Your State Returns." It lists South Carolina. Below that headline, "Other installed states"

"TurboTax has the following states installed. Based on the information you have entered, we do not think you need to file taxes in these states. If you believe you need to prepare taxes for these states click Add to add the state to your return."

Indiana

The interesting thing is I did not download it as my one state that came within the original purchase. Also, I noticed when I brought up TurboTax this past week after not opening it since I e-filed, the update feature listed one update as "Indiana."

So I am a bit confused by all this. Does TurboTax notify/flag you if you need to file another state's income tax return and since I was not, does this mean I did not need to file a return with Indiana?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Near the beginning of the interview, when you start your return, TurboTax will ask you whether you made money in any other states (beyond your state of residency).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Near the beginning of the interview, when you start your return, TurboTax will ask you whether you made money in any other states (beyond your state of residency).

I see it now. Must not have "clicked" with me at the time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies