Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax Automatically Handle Straddles for Imported 1099-B? Or do I have to manually handle Straddles?

I have a 1099-B that I've imported from my broker into TurboTax Desktop from which I traded various options strategies such as credit spreads, Iron Condors, and possibly a butterfly or two. (I primarily sell options but I have bought a few outright as well.) My understanding is that since those are strategies that employ counter positions, the IRS would classify those strategies as straddles. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken)

When I switch to Forms view, I can see that the individual puts / calls that I purchased have successfully been imported into Schedule D on line 1b. When I double click the numbers, it takes me to form 8849 which shows each buy / sell for each call and put leg of the various strategies I used. 

My question is, since TurboTax has successfully imported my brokerage 1099-B and already has the list of each transaction, and has calculated a gain / loss on Schedule D line 1b, do I now need to go through each purchase to identify straddles and enter each straddle into TurboTax so that the gains from Straddle positions show up on Schedule D line 4c (Form 6781 Gains and Losses from Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles)? If so, won't that end up in TurboTax double counting my income / losses?

What am I missing? And for future years, how would I handle this if I sell a credit spread that crosses into the new year?

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Does TurboTax Automatically Handle Straddles for Imported 1099-B? Or do I have to manually handle Straddles?

Paging @Mike9241

Anybody have suggestions?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies