Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the extension I already filed cover my dependent college student child if it turns out he will need to file a separate return? Should he file his own extension?

Our dependent student is listed on our prior returns.  Unlike prior years, this year they've received direct disbursements of grant $ refunds, some of which may be taxable but we haven't been able to figure that out yet.  Are they covered as a household member under the extension I already filed, or should we preemptively file a separate extension for them just in case we encounter complications with their filing status later on?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Does the extension I already filed cover my dependent college student child if it turns out he will need to file a separate return? Should he file his own extension?

You want to file for the student as well. The extension for time to file is only for your return. Any money due is still due by the original deadline 4/18/2023. After that penalties and interest will begin to accrue.

You may want to claim the student as a dependent if you qualify for the education credit. A little taxable income to the student vs a big credit for you. You may want to look at another of my answers for help. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies