Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does putting dependent on my W4 matter if I have to file as Independent on my taxes?

I've always claimed as a dependent so that is what I put not thinking it may have changed. I just graduated college and made more than $7,000 a year so it looks like I will have to file as independent. How will this mistake have an impact on my tax return/ how do I fix it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Does putting dependent on my W4 matter if I have to file as Independent on my taxes?

If you are under age 24 at the end of 2017, a full-time student and your parents provided for more than half of your support, they can still claim you as a dependent (and your education expenses). You will have to file your own tax return as you earned more than $6,350 in 2017. You will indicate on your tax return that you are claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.

If all these above conditions are not satisfied, your parents cannot claim you as a dependent. And you will file your tax return and claim your education expenses..

What you indicate on form W-4 only serves to determine the amount of your federal tax withholding.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you are under age 24 at the end of 2017, a full-time student and your parents provided for more than half of your support, they can still claim you as a dependent (and your education expenses). You will have to file your own tax return as you earned more than $6,350 in 2017. You will indicate on your tax return that you are claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.

If all these above conditions are not satisfied, your parents cannot claim you as a dependent. And you will file your tax return and claim your education expenses..

What you indicate on form W-4 only serves to determine the amount of your federal tax withholding.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies