Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

woshiwaiguoren
Returning Member

Does my rental activity need to be a "business" to take the de minimis safe harbor exemption?

I believe I spent under 250 hours on my rental last year and was not going to claim the QBI exemption.  However, I bought furniture for the rental and wanted to use the de minimis safe harbor to expense it (the items are clearly discrete and each under $2,500).  My question is, is there a point where your rental activity is considered passive and not a "business," and therefore ineligible to deduct expenses, like the de minimis safe harbor (DMSH) for expensing items?  Or is it not a business for the purposes of QBI but still fitting a lower standard of "business" to deduct expenses like the DMSH?

Note that I co-own this building as tenants in common with someone else.  We have not formed a partnership and calculate our income separately, under the IRS guidance that "co-ownership of property maintained and rented or leased is not a partnership unless the co-owners provide services to the tenants."  But do I need to be "providing services to the tenants" to be considered a rental "business" that can take more deductions, instead of a passive investing activity?

I just wonder if there is any set of circumstances that threads the needle such that you are a business and can take various expenses and deductions but not "providing services to tenants" (beyond renting property to them) that would lead me and my co-owner to be in an unregistered partnership and delinquent on filing partnership returns.

If it were not a business, would there be any way to depreciate or expense the furniture I bought for the rental?  Or would I be SOL? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Does my rental activity need to be a "business" to take the de minimis safe harbor exemption?

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations

Rental real estate is considered to be a "business" for the purposes of the de minimis safe harbor.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies