Solved: Does my parent have to claim me as a dependent bec...

TIFP

Does my parent have to claim me as a dependent because I am on their insurance?

Hello, 

During 2018, I was 23 years old,  working full time for the entire year, and living at home (but sharing expenses). I am still on my parent's health insurance. Does my parent have to claim me on their taxes? Also, do I have to put on my taxes that someone else can claim me as a dependent?

Thank you for your help! 

BarbL

The health insurance is not relevant when determining if they can claim you as a dependent.

If you were a full-time student in 2018, they may be able to claim you as a dependent if you did not provide more than half your own support.  

If you were not a full-time student, different rules apply.  If you earned more than $4,150 from your job, they cannot claim you as a dependent.  It sounds as if this is the case for you, so you will NOT check the box indicating someone else can claim you as a dependent.  You will claim yourself, as they are not eligible to do so.  

BarbL