Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does dependent need to submit State if unearned income is over the Federal limit but gross income under State limit?

A dependent is required to file Federal taxes due to unearned income. Turbo Tax State return calculates owing $3 (some state tax was paid with earned income on W-2).

The total gross income is under the State requirement for filing. Do we need to file State?  I can't find an unearned income filing requirement for State taxes. Would end up paying $25 to file and $3 in taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Does dependent need to submit State if unearned income is over the Federal limit but gross income under State limit?

To clarify your question, what state is this?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

check the rules to make sure that while the gross income is under the filing limit there isn't another rule that requires filing if a federal return is  filed.

Minnesota

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I looked through the Minnesota tax codes and I cannot find a credible source that offers clear guidance. I would suggest contacting the Minnesota Dept. of Revenue directly

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I did contact the Dept of Revenue and they confirmed there is no requirement to file if under the gross income limit. Turbo Tax showed state tax due based on Federal taxable income so I was not sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies