Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do we have to pay tax in a state if we worked in another?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My husband worked and lived in temporary housing in the state of Florida for all of 2016.  I stayed behind and worked in Georgia until our house sold in May 2016.  His company did not deduct Georgia income tax from his paycheck.  Is he considered a Florida resident for the whole year or only after May?  What portion of income do we have to pay tax on to the state of Georgia?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If you lived in one state and worked in another, you usually have to pay tax in the state where you lived. Sometimes you have to pay tax in the state where you worked, but if the two states have a reciprocal agreement you may not have to pay tax in the state where you worked.

If you respond with the states involved, I could give a more complete answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My husband worked and lived in temporary housing in the state of Florida for all of 2016.  I stayed behind and worked in Georgia until our house sold in May 2016.  His company did not deduct Georgia income tax from his paycheck.  Is he considered a Florida resident for the whole year or only after May?  What portion of income do we have to pay tax on to the state of Georgia?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

This isn't entirely clear cut, but YOU are definitely a part-year resident of Georgia. I would tend towards the idea that so was your husband (a part-year resident from January to May), because he only had temporary living arrangements during the time you were trying to sell the home.

A part year resident pays tax on the income earned during the period of residency, plus any income that came from Georgia after you were no longer a resident.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies