Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I report money received from my employer, but not listed on my W-2, which was earmarked for monthly insurance premiums, as wages not already reported (misc. income)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Do I report money received from my employer, but not listed on my W-2, which was earmarked for monthly insurance premiums, as wages not already reported (misc. income)?

It depends on how those payments were made. 

If done properly, the payments would not be claimed as income and the health insurance premiums would not be claimed as medical expenses nor deductions.  

If claimed as wages, your employer would be liable for the employer's share of the employee's FICA (Social Security) tax. 

Please speak with your company's payroll department for clarity. 

Link with more information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The payment was issued to me (in my name) via a check from my employer's business account.  I did not claim the amount as income, nor did I claim the portion of my health insurance premiums paid by my employer as a medical expense or a deduction. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

It would be not taxable income.  This sounds like a Sec 125 cafeteria plan your employer set up.  Under Sec. 125, employers with a qualified written plan are permitted to offer employees a choice between at least one permitted taxable benefit and at least one qualified nontaxable benefit, without the choice itself triggering taxation.

The permitted taxable benefit can include cash, various types of paid time off, and/or severance pay. Qualified benefits are those that, under the application of Sec. 125(a), are excludable from gross income by express provision of Chapter 1 of the Code.  Since payments were earmarked for monthly health insurance premiums, they would not be taxable payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies