longdogz

Do I need to report on my tax return that my children, who are not dependents (in their 20s), are covered by my health care? If so, how?

We have two sons, both in their 20s and no longer dependents (although one is currently living at home between college and grad school).  They are both on my work health care, including the older one who has a job (because my health care coverage is better than that provided by his company).  While we are not claiming them as dependents (they both make too much), we think that we need to do something to report that they are covered by our insurance.  But it seems that TurboTax doesn't want to let us do that.  How is the correct way to handle this situation in TurboTax?

PaulaM

If your son's are covered by your health insurance but are not your dependents, then they will answer the Health Insurance questions on their returns. Your coverage counts as coverage for themselves, so they will answer correctly that they had coverage all year.

There is nothing else for you to report. Answer for yourself and your spouse (if applicable).

PaulaM

longdogz

Thanks, Paula!  I didn't expect an AnswerXchange answer so fast!
PaulaM

You are welcome! 🙂