Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to fill out schedule D if have dividends on Form 1099-DIV in box 1a and 1b?

The cost of Turbotax Premier is more than my dividends, so can I avoid using Premier? And how would I fill out schedule D and add it into my Turbotax documents manually if I do it myself?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Do I need to fill out schedule D if have dividends on Form 1099-DIV in box 1a and 1b?

@Anonymous , I am unsure  what you are talking about i.e. the issue you are facing .  1099-DIV i.e. dividend income is reported on Schedule-B as is 1099-INT.  Schedule -D is usually used for  sale/barter of stocks/ bonds /assets etc where there is gain, capital or otherwise.   What are you trying to report ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess its for my short term capital gains on stock.   Turbotax says I need to buy the Premier product version to report accurately and include Schedule D.  I never received a form 1040 from my financial institution/broker.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Anonymous , oh yes --- if you have income from sale of  stocks  then yes , you have to report this on schedule-D.  TurboTax will walk you through filling the 8938 and then on to the Schedule-D.  Note a shor-term  gain is treated as an ordinary income and does not get capital gain tretament.

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

I received a Form 1099--DIV from T.RowePrice.  Will the form that I need to complete come up later in this process?

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Capital Gains reported in Box 2a, this does not need to be reported on Schedule D.   The 1099-DIV is completed in the Income and Expenses section of the Federal return and selecting Form 1099-DIV.    Do not enter the capital gains from dividends on schedule D. 

Schedule D is used for reporting stock sales shown on a 1099-B.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.    I made $80 in short term capital gains which will cost me about $20 in taxes.  But it looks like I need to pay another $50 to upgrade to turbotax premier to be able to report this accurately.   What would you do here? @pk 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I have correctly reported 1099-DIV box 1a and 1b income on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

See worksheet here on page 36.

@jim-1178

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies