Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a state income tax return for minimal income tax in another state?

I live and work in Minnesota. In 2023 I traveled for business to Georgia for two days. My employer withheld $71.32 for Georgia state income tax for that event. Do I need to file a Georgia state income tax return for such a minimal amount? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file a state income tax return for minimal income tax in another state?

As a Georgia nonresident, you should review the exception listed under (2).

Georgia Department of Revenue Individual Income Tax Booklet, page 9, states:

Nonresidents 

1. Nonresidents who work in Georgia or receive income from Georgia sources and are required to file a Federal return are required to file a Georgia income tax return. 
  2. Legal residents of other states are not required to file a Georgia tax return if their only activity for financial gain or profit in Georgia consists of performing services for an employer as an employee where the wages for such services does not exceed the lesser of five percent of the income received from performing services in all places during the taxable year or $5,000.

See booklet here.

However, you may want to file to receive a refund of any Georgia income tax withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That answers my question. Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies