turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a protective claim and how do I file one?

Based on filing my losses for subsequent years in an amendment, if my money is recovered,  can and how do I do the below?:

Notification of the IRS is called a “protective claim.” By filing a protective refund claim, the taxpayer is basically saying, “if the litigation resolves in my favor, I will be filing an amended return and asking for a refund despite the fact that the statute of limitations has passed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxpayers have a limited time to file refund claims with the IRS. Occasionally, this time limit may expire before the taxpayer’s right to the refund claim is finalized and determinable (e.g., during pending litigation). To preserve its right to claim a refund, the taxpayer must file a protective claim.

A protective claim (1) is a written claim for refund of taxes (2) that meets the substantive criteria for refund claims and (3) is contingent upon an expected future event (4) to determine the merits and sometimes the amount of the claim. In general, protective claims may be made informally or formally and are filed to protect a taxpayer’s right to refund should the statute of limitations for claims expire prior to the resolution of the contingency. Taxpayers should strive to file formal claims, except for situations in which the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has explicitly indicated it will accept informal claims (e.g., within the first 30 days of a Large Business and International Division examination (IRM 4.46.3.7.1.1)). By filing formal claims, one generally avoids the risk of the IRS (or the US Department of Justice in litigation) arguing that a valid claim was never filed on grounds of lack of formality.

The IRS typically accepts protective claims that are based on expected changes in a current regulation, pending legislation or current litigation. (See IRM 21.5.3.4.7.3.). Any claim based on a pending court case or decision should be accepted by the IRS as a protective claim so long as the other criteria for the claim are met.

There is no specific form for filing this type of claim.  The filing can be formal or informal.  The claim must include the following:

• Identify fully, and clearly, the basis for which the claim (a credit or refund) is filed.
  • The claim must include sufficient facts to apprise the IRS of the underlying reasons for the claim.
  • The contingency, or contingencies, affecting this claim need to be fully described and identified.
  • The year, or years, for which the claim is involved must be included.
  • The amount of the contingent refund, if known or knowable, should be quantified.
  • The claim must be signed, and dated, under penalty of perjury.
  • The claim must be filed before the expiration of the statute of limitations.

The form of the claim can be a pro-forma tax return, prepared and included as part of the details noted above.  The return must state “Protective Claim” written across the top of the first page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

ES CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Good afternoon @Delturba01 ,

Protective claims are filed to preserve the taxpayer's right to claim a refund when the taxpayer's right to the refund is contingent on future events and may not be determinable until after the statute of limitations expires. You are, essentially, extending the statute of limitations.

There is no specific IRS form to do this.   The filing can be formal or informal.  The claim must include the following:

• Identify fully, and clearly, the basis for which the claim (a credit or refund) is filed.
  • The claim must include sufficient facts to apprise the IRS of the underlying reasons for the claim.
  • The contingency, or contingencies, affecting this claim need to be fully described and identified.
  • The amount of the contingent refund, if known or knowable, should be quantified.

The form of the claim can be a pro-forma tax return, prepared and included as part of the details noted above.  The return must state “Protective Claim” written across the top of the first page.

Here is a great article regarding the filing of a protective claim.

Thank you for reaching out to the TurboTax Community with this great question!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Taxpayers have a limited time to file refund claims with the IRS. Occasionally, this time limit may expire before the taxpayer’s right to the refund claim is finalized and determinable (e.g., during pending litigation). To preserve its right to claim a refund, the taxpayer must file a protective claim.

A protective claim (1) is a written claim for refund of taxes (2) that meets the substantive criteria for refund claims and (3) is contingent upon an expected future event (4) to determine the merits and sometimes the amount of the claim. In general, protective claims may be made informally or formally and are filed to protect a taxpayer’s right to refund should the statute of limitations for claims expire prior to the resolution of the contingency. Taxpayers should strive to file formal claims, except for situations in which the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has explicitly indicated it will accept informal claims (e.g., within the first 30 days of a Large Business and International Division examination (IRM 4.46.3.7.1.1)). By filing formal claims, one generally avoids the risk of the IRS (or the US Department of Justice in litigation) arguing that a valid claim was never filed on grounds of lack of formality.

The IRS typically accepts protective claims that are based on expected changes in a current regulation, pending legislation or current litigation. (See IRM 21.5.3.4.7.3.). Any claim based on a pending court case or decision should be accepted by the IRS as a protective claim so long as the other criteria for the claim are met.

There is no specific form for filing this type of claim.  The filing can be formal or informal.  The claim must include the following:

ES CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Good afternoon @Delturba01 ,

Protective claims are filed to preserve the taxpayer's right to claim a refund when the taxpayer's right to the refund is contingent on future events and may not be determinable until after the statute of limitations expires. You are, essentially, extending the statute of limitations.

There is no specific IRS form to do this.   The filing can be formal or informal.  The claim must include the following:

Here is a great article regarding the filing of a protective claim.

Thank you for reaching out to the TurboTax Community with this great question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies