Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LJ038
Returning Member

Do I need to file 1040-NR?

I am a South Korean citizen, living in South Korea.

The last time I was in the US with a visa was in 2021 as an F-1 student. (In 2023, I was in the US for a week or so with ESTA.)

Would I be considered a non-resident alien?

I have a savings account in the US and received 1099-INT but have no other income to report.

Looking at the IRS website, it sounds like interest income from savings account is nontaxable for nonresident aliens?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Correct. The IRS states in Nontaxable Types of Interest Income for Nonresident Aliens: Nonresident aliens (NRAs) are not taxed on certain kinds of interest income, including but not limited to certain portfolio interest and deposit interest, that is not effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business per Internal Revenue Code subsections 871 (h) and (i), respectively, provided that such interest income arises from one of the following sources:

1. A U.S. bank
  2. A U.S. savings and loan association
  3. A U.S. credit union
  4. A U.S. insurance company
  5. Portfolio Interest (Described in “3. Exclusions From Gross Income" – “Nonresident Aliens” - "Interest Income" and its subsection "Portfolio interest" of Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LJ038
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply.

So should I file a 1040-NR and report zero income?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you would not be required to file a tax return, based on your circumstances.

@LJ038 

LJ038
Returning Member

Hello,

Since I am a nonresident alien engaged in a trade or business in the US, it seems like I am required to file 1040NR and report no taxable income. I have the following related questions:

1. Can I file 1040-NR by June 15th (17th in 2024) since I "didn’t receive wages as an employee subject to U.S. income tax withholding"?

Although I received interest from a savings account in the US, the IRS website says interest income from savings account is nontaxable for nonresident aliens. However, it also says:

"If NRAs use Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, to report their income, then such nontaxable interest income shall not be reported anywhere on Form 1040-NR except in response to question L on page 5 of Form 1040-NR."

2. If I am not reporting any income, do I still need to report the nontaxable interest income?

If I do, I'm not sure what to say for Question L on page 5 (Schedule OI - Other Information) of 1040-NR because

Question L is for Income Exempt from Tax under a tax treaty with a foreign country

while the IRS website says interest income is nontaxable per Internal Revenue Code rather than a tax treaty.

Thank you for your help.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you're living in South Korea, you are not engaged in any trade or business in the US.

You don't need to file a US tax return of any kind. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies