Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to do anything if I filed jointly for the first time? Husband did the filing and the return was accepted, do I need to file by myself still or am I done?

We filed jointly as we got married back in November. He filed under his account and it was accepted with the return coming back pretty quick. I just want to make sure I don't need to still file myself somehow. Last name was changed before the return got sent out so it was filed under my new last name.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Do I need to do anything if I filed jointly for the first time? Husband did the filing and the return was accepted, do I need to file by myself still or am I done?

A joint tax return is one single tax return that lists both spouses by name, and includes all of the income, deductions, and credits that apply to both spouses.  If your husband filed a joint return and listed all of your income, then you do not have any separate obligations. However, if your income was not listed, then we need to investigate further to determine what was filed, and how to correct it.

Okay thank you @Opus 17. I’ve been a little worried as I got an email from turbo tax saying don’t forget to file before next week. I went to go mark myself as having filed jointly but I didn’t realize you need to basically file your taxes even if you said you jointly filed for this year. I would hate to get penalty because I didn’t update something. 

My husband filed all my income and anything else needed to file back in February. Saying I filed jointly, it’s still making me file as if I haven’t done it yet and that I have a return coming which doesn’t make any sense since I filed with him and we already got the return. 

@valley4orge wrote:

My husband filed all my income and anything else needed to file back in February. Saying I filed jointly, it’s still making me file as if I haven’t done it yet and that I have a return coming which doesn’t make any sense since I filed with him and we already got the return. 

If you previously used Turbotax as a single person, you may get marketing emails reminding you to file.  If you already filed a joint return, you should ignore the marketing emails.  (The marketing department does not know you already filed a joint return with someone else's account.  Your personal tax information is not released for marketing purposes.)  Also, your online account does not know you filed another return, because accounts aren't linked that way.  If you did try to file a return, it would be rejected. 

DianneNY

Did you change your name with the Social Security Administration when you got married?  If not there may be problems, the name on the tax return must match what SSA has on their records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies