Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report the sale of my timeshare if I didn't receive a 1099?

I sold my timeshare back to Marriott for $0 just to get out of it.  I verified with Marriott that they do not intend to send me a 1099.  They said "There are not tax documents sent out to owners who have deeded back their ownership at $0".  Do I need to report the $0 sale on my taxes?  I know I cannot deduct the loss because the timeshare was for personal use.  So it doesn't matter to me if it is reported or not.  It seems like the IRS might not care either.  They may not even be aware of the sale if the 1099 was never filed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

No, if you are not going to be issued a 1099 because there is nothing to report you do not have to create a sale on your return to report the $0 sale.  

Since A timeshare is considered a personal capital asset and the sale is reported if a gain occurs. If you incurred a loss on the sale, the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct the loss and there is nothing to report.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

No, if you are not going to be issued a 1099 because there is nothing to report you do not have to create a sale on your return to report the $0 sale.  

Since A timeshare is considered a personal capital asset and the sale is reported if a gain occurs. If you incurred a loss on the sale, the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct the loss and there is nothing to report.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies