turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fr0styx9
Returning Member

Do I have to mail despite not being required?

A week ago I filed my taxes on turbotax despite not being required to do so because I thought it was a requirement for the Stimulus Check. However, it ended up that it can not be e-filed, rather I would have to mail in my tax info in physical form.

So my question is, do I have to continue to mail it despite not requiring to do taxes in the first place?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Please see the following website for information on whether you need to "register" (file) to receive a stimulus payment or not:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/#stimuluspayment 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fr0styx9
Returning Member

Like I said, I completed the tax forms on Turbotax, but have not mailed them yet because I'm not required to file my taxes in the first place as my income is below the requirements. Does completing the forms on Turbotax but not mailing them interfere with the Stimulus Check portal Turbotax had for non-filers?

I'm asking this because at one point I got an IND-516-01 error from turbotax when I used their portal for the Stimulus check, and the same error when I used the new IRS portal that they put up for non-filers.  

Now, the front message on my Turbotax account when logging in, despite NOT mailing my taxes, says:

"It looks like you've already mailed in your 2019 tax return. The IRS has the info they need to qualify you for a stimulus payment. Note that you can't update your payment info here--the IRS will either send payment to your bank account or mail you a check."

Now, when I tried the IRS portal for the Stimulus Check, it rejected me due to the IND-516-01 error. Has my SSN been taken by someone, or am I just interfering with myself by using both Turbotax and the IRS portal for the Stimulus Check? Also, am I required to mail my forms despite not being required to do my taxes in the first place? Or, is everything okay and I do not have to do anything else for the Stimulus Check due to the message I posted above from Turbotax that's on my page when logging in to Turbotax?

I am mostly confused due to not being required to do my taxes, not mailing said taxes despite completing the forms and receiving that above message, and getting that error code from the IRS portal. Thanks for the help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies