scocpm

Do I Have to fill out a final tax return when someone dies if only income was social security

Hi, My mom just passed away a week ago and I’m reading about that a final tax return has to be filled out when a person dies.
My mom’s only income is social security which is $1,850 a month and she collected for 8 months for a total of $14,800 for the year and she has NO other earned income besides social security she has no other assets.

Do I still have to fill out a final tax return for her given her only income was social security? 

Mike9241

assuming no income taxes were withheld on her social security payments, no return is needed. if taxes were withheld the only way to get them back is to file a final return. 

Carl

If your mother had an IRA, 401(k) or other type of retirement account, then a tax return very well may be required weather she took a draw from those funds or not.

The rules on whether a final return needs to be filed in the year a person dies are the same as for determining if a person needs to file when they are alive, and depends on the amount and type of income the person has.  You can use the IRS tool here, https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

Basically, if your mother's only income is a social security benefit, then a return is not required.  However, you will need to make sure she doesn't own stocks, or have a pension, or other retirement accounts.  You sound sure, but sometimes there are surprises.  

You also have until April 15, 2023 to figure everything out, and you can't file until January 20, even if you thought you were ready sooner.  So take your time to process everything and relax for now.  And we are sorry for your loss.