Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to claim my college aged child as a dependent?

A few questions here. My daughter is 18 and a FT college student. All expenses are paid from a (custodial until 21, our name is not on it) stock account in her name or from money she has earned. Do I have to claim her as dependent?

Also, we have gotten mixed answers on the dependent question. If a child is a dependent under the questions asked, ignoring the above mentioned stock account, is the parent required to claim them as a dependent on their form?

And finally, I saw in another question an option where the parent doesn't have to claim the dependent, but the dependent has to choose "someone could claim me as a dependent on their form". Is that an option? Our situation will vary year to year, and I'm trying to understand how to file each year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to claim my college aged child as a dependent?

The rules for a qualifying child are below. With the tax law changes in 2018, the answer is not so clear about forgoing the dependency. The rule used to read, that if the parent did not claim they exemption to be nice and allow their dependent to file as independent, the child could not take the exemption for themselves. Now that there is not more exemption, it is not so clear cut. 

The bottom line is, if she is a qualifying child, she is your dependent. She would be excluded if she paid more than half of her own support.

Qualifying Child

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies