Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get tax credit if my CD balance in a Indian bank when coverted to USD is lower than last year’s balance in USD due to currency rate changes between 2 yrs?

Taking some numbers for example below.

Last year, my bank balance was say 5,00,000 INR = 7843 USD (using exchange rate for 2017 noted in <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/treasury-reporting-rates-exchange/historical.html">ht...)
       Interest rate for this fixed deposit amount = 5%
       Current balance including interest income = 5,25,000 INR i.e. 7521 USD (using exchange rate for 2018 noted in <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/treasury-reporting-rates-exchange/historical.html">ht...

If I just look at interest deposited by the bank, I made interest income of 25,000 INR i.e 358 USD.  Am I supposed to pay tax on this income though overall there is a loss  (or) should I just report zero interest income (or) is there a way I can report the loss in this investment and reduce my tax liability from other investments/income I made in US.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Do I get tax credit if my CD balance in a Indian bank when coverted to USD is lower than last year’s balance in USD due to currency rate changes between 2 yrs?

You should enter $0 as the amount of interest.

You don't report negative interest amounts and you can't take any type of credit or loss, for the decline in the value of a deposit account. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

no.  it's no different than if you owned a stock that bought in 2018 for $4000 and at the end of 2019 was worth $3000 

So how should i report the negative interest?  In past i have put the positive interest (this years balance in USD minus last years balance in USD) in Turbotax for say Bank X.  Should i now report the negative interest value in that place?  or should i be entering ZERO.

We don't pay taxes in stocks when the value changes.  But we pay tax on interest accumulated in CD every single year.  so i don't see how that is apples to apples.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

You should enter $0 as the amount of interest.

You don't report negative interest amounts and you can't take any type of credit or loss, for the decline in the value of a deposit account. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies