Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dragon2000
Returning Member

Divorce in progress

We filed for divorce in May.  It is still in the works.  We have been staying in separate homes since May. 

We have 3 minor children (11,9 &6). 

In 2022 the following events have happened.  I am wondering if it makes sense for me to filled separately from my spouse?

My spouse has lost his professional license and "closed" his S Corp.  He also started a new LLC and in addition is driving for Uber.  He is in the middle of a malpractice lawsuit.  He has taken at least $30,000 from retirement accounts.  

All of these things seem like a tax liability I do not want part of.  IF we file married separately, how do we determine who claims the childern as the divorce will not be final prior to the end of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Divorce in progress

Hi @dragon2000 - thanks for chatting with us today and sorry to hear about your recent challenges. 

Since you have been living apart for at least the last six months of the year, you might qualify to file using the Head of Household status even though your divorce is not finalized yet. To qualify for Head of Household, you would've had to provide more than half the cost of keeping up a home for at least one of the children for the year.

As far as claiming the children - the IRS default position is that whoever is the "custodial" parent (meaning, the parent with whom the children lived more than half the nights of the year) is permitted to claim the children. So really, this boils down to where the children have primarily been living since the separation. If they are living with you most or all of the time, generally you would have the right to claim them. In that case, you could agree to let the other parent claim one or more children, but absent such an agreement the custodial parent would be entitled to claim the children.

I hope this information was helpful. Please post a follow up if you have any additional questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies