Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Divorce 2023 - Head of Household & Mortgage Interest

I divorced this last Sept 2023 and I made more money (higher AGI) than my ex-spouse which I pay child support for our son that is 9. We are 50/50 split on custody in WA state. According to our divorce agreement, we would be alternating child dependent tax credits every other year. This year would be mine, but I don't qualify since I made too much. However, I do get a tax break for applying as Head of Household. Based on my review of the tiebreaker rules, I would be able to claim him as a dependent since I had the higher AGI that year, is this correct?

For the sale of our last home, I believe the mortgage interest would be split 50/50, so does that mean I split the total of Box1 mortgage interest in half when I report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Divorce 2023 - Head of Household & Mortgage Interest

Yes, the IRS lists the following guidelines for the tie-breaker rule. 

• The parent, if only one of the persons is the child's parent,
  • The parent with whom the child lived the longest during the tax year, if two of the persons are the child's parent and they do not file a joint return together,
  • The parent with the highest AGI if the child lived with each parent for the same amount of time during the tax year, and they do not file a joint return together,
  • A non-parent, if no parent claims the child as a qualifying child although he or she may do so and only if the non-parent's AGI is higher than the highest AGI of any parent who may claim the child, or
  • The person with the highest AGI, if none of the persons is the child's parent.

Based on this, you will be able to claim your son as a dependent. Also, since you are splitting mortgage interest, you will report your interest as 1/2 of the amount that appears in Box 1 of the mortgage interest statement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies