Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Navidnb

Discrepancy between desktop and online version!

I bought desktop version this year to save money on my filling cost but I am getting different numbers for both my federal and state tax refund/due. I know where the issue is coming from but I don't know which version should I trust. Here is the issue:

I have a w-2 which is simple and completely identical on both sides (desktop and web), I had a side gig (rideshare) as well which I received a 1099-NEC and a 1099-K for it. The desktop version asks for 1099-NEC first and I entered as it is. Then it asks for 1099-K however it says if you have already entered a 1099-NEC for this income, do not enter 1099-K information again because you don't want to report this income twice... ok , great! 

When I reached to the final step to review on desktop version I got s suspicious to my return (federal tax due), because with more income than 2022tax year, I am seeing less tax due for 2023, so I decided to try it through the web version  which I used last year. 

I entered everything as it is and identical to my desktop return except the part when it asks for the side gig (rideshare), as you know on web version, Turbotax connects to the ridesharing company and transfer all the data automatically. In this case my income is being shown twice as my 1099-NEC and almost equal (not completely) to my 1099-K issued by the rideshare company, and the worst part is my tax due jumps from $ on desktop version to $$$ on web version!!! 

Now I am left with a DVD that I paid for, and the two tax returns from Turbotax that are not matching and I don't know which one should I trust! I have reviewed everything thousand times!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

regardless of version, the same income is only entered once. either through the 1099-NEC  which can be linked to a schedule C or the 1099-K which can also be linked. your choice but only one of them. Hopefully, they report the same amount. 

Navidnb

Thanks for your answer.

I had to spend the whole weekend to figure out how to enter my income from 1099-k and 1099-NEC, because TurboTax desktop version confused me and probably others. The web version works accurately because it imports all the data from the rideshare company (Uber) but the desktop version cannot import and as a result I had to input manually. 

The issue with the desktop version is when you move forward step by step, it first asks for 1099-NEC which I entered mine got from Uber, then it asks for 1099-K but it mentions that "if you have already entered a 1099-NEC for this income you don't need to enter it again here because you don't want to report one income twice", BUT THIS IS WRONG! Be careful delivery drivers... 1099-K and 1099-NEC showing different kinds of incomes (at least for Uber), you as a delivery driver must report and import incomes from both forms. Finally, you need to input Expenses, Taxes and Fees from your "Uber Annual Summary" under miscellaneous expenses for this self-employment business (Ridesharing) alongside all other expenses for this business such as mileage and etc. which you are instructed through filling steps. By doing so you will see identical numbers on both desktop version and web version. 

Since the web version imports everything automatically from Uber servers, it calculate all items behind the scene and show you your final taxable income for Uber.

This is so confusing, I hope Turbotax team fix this on the desktop version. It wasted my whole weekend to find out the answer!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies