The Credit for the Elderly or Disabled is a nonrefundable credit available to qualified individuals with income below a certain limit (click the screenshot below to enlarge it for reference). To qualify, you must be age 65 or older or have retired due to permanent disability. Married persons must generally file a joint return to claim this credit, but there is an exception if your spouse did not live with you at any time during the tax year.
TurboTax checks for your eligibility for the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled based on information you provide during the tax interview. If you wish to get to the credit directly and see if you qualify:
- Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
- Click Tax Tools (lower left of your screen).
- Click Tools.
- Click Topic Search.
- In the I'm looking for: box, type sch r.
- In the results box, highlight sch r, then click GO.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
For a detailed discussion of this credit, please see the items below.