Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Didn't e-file state but TurboTax prints 8453-OL anyway

Just did daughter's taxes and she has whopping $9 federal refund which we chose to free e-file and $0 for CA state.  Did not opt to pay $20 for state e-file.  When we went to print the forms to file, TurboTax filing instructions say not to mail anything because it was e-filed.  No we didn't pay, so no the state was not e-filed.  The state will get the federal which was e-filed, but I think we still need to snail mail the 540 to: [address removed] since well, that's what 540 says to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

By "going back" I meant that I started the file section over by clicking the file tab.  Please try it yourself.  I agree the screen is incorrect.  And the instructions are incorrect.  

However, I did find a way to get the correct printout.  You have to select "File by mail" for FEDERAL first, even though federal has been e-filed, only then will it let you print the STATE returns. 

I would suggest that if someone:

1) has already e-filed Federal and has not yet printed out state, that the option to e-file federal not be presented again.

2) selects "Do not e-file my state return..." the next screen (as well as after completing the federal e-file) should be to snail mail the state.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

@axelady  wrote:

Just did daughter's taxes and she has whopping $9 federal refund which we chose to free e-file and $0 for CA state.  Did not opt to pay $20 for state e-file.  When we went to print the forms to file, TurboTax filing instructions say not to mail anything because it was e-filed.  No we didn't pay, so no the state was not e-filed.  The state will get the federal which was e-filed, but I think we still need to snail mail the 540 to: FRANCHISE TAX BOARD, PO BOX 942840, SACRAMENTO CA [removed] since well, that's what 540 says to do.

So you decided to print and mail the CA state return instead of paying the $20 efile fee.  It sounds like you didn't go back to the FILE section and in the interview officially switch the filing method from efile to "file by mail."   Once you switch the California return to "file by mail", the Filing Instructions will change.   The new filing instructions will likely also tell you to send a printed copy of the Federal return with it.

If you efiled a Federal return by itself to the IRS, the state does not get a copy of that efiled Fed return.   A state gets a copy of the Federal return only when the state return is also efiled.

Actually, I did go back to the filing section and checked "Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later"  and then it said "Nothing was selected to e-file".  There was no place to "file by mail", later never came.

@ axelady wrote:

Actually, I did go back to the filing section and checked "Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later"  and then it said "Nothing was selected to e-file".  There was no place to "file by mail", later never came.

It sounds like you didn't go back far enough.   That "I'll do it later" screen doesn't sound like the right screen.   On that screen, click the BACK button in the lower left corner, and it might take you to the correct screen;  i.e., the one you need might be the screen before that.  (I'm having to do this in my mind; I don't have a way to simulate it.)

Or just start the FILE section over and march through the screens in order.   Click the FILE tab, then the subtab "File a Return."

I don't know if it will be first, second, or third screen.  But on one of those early screens you should have a choice to switch the state return from efile to "file by mail."

If you find it and choose that, you should then be able to view the new filing instructions with additional info.

By "going back" I meant that I started the file section over by clicking the file tab.  Please try it yourself.  I agree the screen is incorrect.  And the instructions are incorrect.  

However, I did find a way to get the correct printout.  You have to select "File by mail" for FEDERAL first, even though federal has been e-filed, only then will it let you print the STATE returns. 

I would suggest that if someone:

1) has already e-filed Federal and has not yet printed out state, that the option to e-file federal not be presented again.

2) selects "Do not e-file my state return..." the next screen (as well as after completing the federal e-file) should be to snail mail the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies