Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation on shared rental property

I inherited a condo with my sister, so we both own 50%. For the Depreciation section, with Fair Market Value, Land Value, & Improvement Value, do I enter the TOTALS or 50%? For expenses etc, I am entering 50%, because if I choose to have Turbotax half everything it incorrectly halves my 1099-MISC (which is already halved) and won't let me override their number. Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct to enter 50% for expenses etc. This same rationale would also apply to the basis of the property that you will be asked about when you go to report a sale. For example, if the property was worth $500,000 when you inherited it, you would report your basis as $250,000. This will ensure depreciation is calculated correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct to enter 50% for expenses etc. This same rationale would also apply to the basis of the property that you will be asked about when you go to report a sale. For example, if the property was worth $500,000 when you inherited it, you would report your basis as $250,000. This will ensure depreciation is calculated correctly.

I am in the same boat.  I am not sure which of the following is better:

(1) I entered my ownership to be, say, 60%.  I then entered 100% of the income, expense, and depreciation.  Turbotax calcuated my share of the income (60%) and expense (60%), it does not touch the 100% of the deprection that I entered.  I override the form and make the depreciation 60%

(2) I entered my ownership to be, say, 60%.  I then enter 100% of the income, 100% expense, and 60%depreciation.  Turbotax calcuated my share of the income (60%) and expense (60%),  it does not touch the 60% of the deprection that I entered.  No override needed.

Can somone tell me which is the correct way?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The second option is correct. You should enter 60% of the value of the condo when you are prompted to enter that value. TurboTax will allocate the income and expenses based on the percentage of ownership, but not the cost basis of the property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies