turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation for a new vehicle I used for business

I bought a new car in 2023 and used it for 75% of my business. I'm confused. In my understanding, there are 3 different kinds of depreciation for a vehicle including regular depreciation, Section 179 deduction, and Special bonus depreciation, am I correct? I think If I use the SMR, I'm unable to depreciate my new car and can't use Section 179 deduction or/and Special bonus depreciation.

So, to lower this year's tax liability, I am thinking of using one of the depreciation for my new car, the regular depreciation, vs Section 179, or Special bonus depreciation, but I'm not sure which is the best. Can I use 2 depreciation methods (Section 179 and bonus depreciation, about $20,200 in 2023) in the same year? Will I pay tax on the depreciation of whatever depreciation I used or not when I sell my car or my business use drops below 50%?

Or to avoid paying the recapture tax for my car in the future, can I use the straight-line depreciation for the 2023 tax return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, the Standard Mileage Deduction includes a depreciation equivalent based on the number of business miles. If you claim Actual Expenses, you have some control over how the vehicle is depreciated. 

Section 179 allows you to expense the entire purchase price (some limits apply) but does have a recapture rule if you sell the vehicle before it's fully depreciated or if business use drops below 50%. This deduction is optional.

Special Bonus Depreciation allows you to expense up to 80% of the vehicle value in the first year you use it more than 50% for your business. Special Depreciation is treated like regular depreciation if/when you sell the vehicle (taxed as ordinary income). You must decline to take this deduction, which then applies to all assets placed into service this year.

You can choose to take Section 179 for some or all of the purchase price (depending on the limits), then claim Special Depreciation for the balance (up to 80%). After that, regular depreciation would apply. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies