Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depositing a refund

One of my son's refunds from the IRS should be mailed to my residence and should be payable to him.   Can he endorse the check for deposit into my checking account on which he is not listed as a member?  

Tom B

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Denisev1220
Expert Alumni

Depositing a refund

Banks don't generally allow that. Sometimes mobile deposits and others sneak through, but shouldn't.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Depositing a refund

Check (no pun intended) with your bank. 

Tax Hero Niki
Employee Tax Expert

Depositing a refund

Hi trberkovich, 

A bank sets its own policy whether to accept or reject third-party checks and is not legally required to accept them. For instance, if the bank accepts the check, the bank can require the payee to be present to verify the signature. Each bank will have their own rules and specifics of how the check should be endorsed (what should be written on the back), to complete the process. I do confirm, via a quick Google search, that several banks are allowing this, so you will want to see what your bank says. 

Depositing a refund

Given that is is a government check, which confirms the identity of the payor and solvency, the endorsement over to the bank account owner, passes the liability to that person as their acceptance is also a passive but legal indemnification of the bank.......still ask the bank first.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies