Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependents, TurboTax won't let me add foster child born in 2017 and lived with me less than 6 mo, but more than half the time they were alive. Software needs an update.

IRS.gov shows several exceptions to time lived with you, including for children that were born during the tax year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Dependents, TurboTax won't let me add foster child born in 2017 and lived with me less than 6 mo, but more than half the time they were alive. Software needs an update.

When a child is born in the current tax year, you normally put "12 Months" for the number of months living with you no matter when they were born during the year.  

However, since this is a foster child that was born in 2017 but was not with you since birth, you will need to take the % of their life since birth they lived with you and multiply that by 12 months. 

For example: Let's say the child was born June 5, 2017 and you took custody of them on August 1, 2017.  They have been alive 7 months in 2017 and you have had custody 5 months in 2017.  The calculation would be: 5/7 x 12 months = 9 months.

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for more details:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5820669

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

When a child is born in the current tax year, you normally put "12 Months" for the number of months living with you no matter when they were born during the year.  

However, since this is a foster child that was born in 2017 but was not with you since birth, you will need to take the % of their life since birth they lived with you and multiply that by 12 months. 

For example: Let's say the child was born June 5, 2017 and you took custody of them on August 1, 2017.  They have been alive 7 months in 2017 and you have had custody 5 months in 2017.  The calculation would be: 5/7 x 12 months = 9 months.

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for more details:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5820669

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies