Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nams

Dependent out of country on VACATION for Q1-2018 (3 month) & health insurance was dropped but insured from Apr-Dec 2018. Am I required to pay penalty for those 3 months?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Dependent out of country on VACATION for Q1-2018 (3 month) & health insurance was dropped but insured from Apr-Dec 2018. Am I required to pay penalty for those 3 months?

No, on the page asking 'Did you have a situation that waives the tax penalty...?' in the Health Insurance section, go to 'Wasn't required to get insurance' (screenshot).

Choose 'Resident of foreign country..' to indicate that your dependent was not living in the US for the months indicated.

TurboTax will inform you that the '.. penalty has been waived' on the next screen. 

If you don't qualify for an Exception, you may have part of the penalty waived (screenshot).

Edited 4/3/19 2:29 pm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nams

Thanks for the response, Marilyn. When I followed the steps provided by you, I found the option and related exemption however when I clicked on "Learn more" link for "Resident of foreign country or U.S. territory", it says "Yes, the tax penalty for not having health insurance in 2018 can be waived if the individual was a U.S. citizen or resident but lived in a foreign country or U.S. territory for at least 330 days within a consecutive 12-month period that includes all or part of 2018." means minimum of 330 days whereas in my case, my dependent was in US for FULL 2017 (covered under health insurance) and were on vacation to home country ( I am a resident alien) only for 3 months (US insurance was dropped for these 3 months. Once back, dependent was again covered under insurance from Apr-Dec 2018.

Please guide me how to get exemption in this case.

Many thanks and much appreciated for your help !!
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You may be able to get an exemption for 'short coverage gap' but you have to pay the Penalty and then apply for reimbursement, as stated on the same page.
nams

Thank you for the response! can you please attach screenshot for the procedure ? I couldn't find 'Short coverage gap' option on the health Insurance page. Also, please help me to find the reference to apply for reimbursement on that page as could not find it.
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

A two-month gap qualifies; three does not; after you don't choose an 'exception' you may get an Adjusted Penalty on the next page (added screenshot to original answer).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies