Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent or not

Hi experts, I have a son of 19 years old who started attending college. Last year he lived in a dorm (out of state) for 4 months and also had a small income for his part-time job.

I'm wondering if I need to include him as a dependent like before or not. He had his own income (which is small) with W2, so I think his income also needs to be reported.

My guess is that he may get a refund if he files his own tax report, but I would like to know which is the best.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Dependent or not

Yes, you can and should claim him.  As long as he is not supporting himself, you can still claim him as a dependent.   Being away at school is a temporary absence, and he is considered to be at home, living with you, his parent(s), for tax purposes.

And yes, he should file his own Form 1040 and get a refund of whatever is in Box 2 of his W-2.  Make sure he marks the box that says Someone else can and will claim me on their tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Dependent or not

Yes, you can and should claim him.  As long as he is not supporting himself, you can still claim him as a dependent.   Being away at school is a temporary absence, and he is considered to be at home, living with you, his parent(s), for tax purposes.

And yes, he should file his own Form 1040 and get a refund of whatever is in Box 2 of his W-2.  Make sure he marks the box that says Someone else can and will claim me on their tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ee-ea
Level 15

Dependent or not

Dependent or not

There is no requirement to claim a dependent, though it's usually in the taxpayer's best interest to do so. Your claiming him does not affect his taxes. If he qualifies as a dependent, regardless of whether you claim him or not, he must indicate on his return that he can be claimed as a dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies