If your 17 year old meets the requirements to qualify as your dependent, then you would claim him as a dependent, and you could file a tax return for his income. He would need to indicate on his return that he can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. To determine if your son qualifies as a dependent on your return please see the following TurboTax FAQ:
To indicate that he can be claimed by someone else as a dependent in his return you will need to do the following:
- Log in to TurboTax Online
- Click on Take me to my return
- Once in your return, click Personal Info
- Locate his name and click the Edit button next to his name
- On the following screen, near the bottom you will choose Someone will claim me in 2016 and click Continue.
I will attach a screenshot of that area, so you are better able to locate it.