Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ANNUITY

DEMAND TURBOTAX NOT TO DISCONTINUE CD FOR 2024 TAX YEAR

intuit turbotax has made poor decisions in the past that have been reversed, because customers would not stand for it. Discontinuing the  CD version of turbo tax will not be tolerated by many customers and it will cost turbotax more than they plan on saving. I am asking turbotax to reverse this poorly thought out decision to discontinue the CD version and only offering downloads. I personally will not purchase a download and I am sure  they lose many current and future customers, because of this decision. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

@ANNUITY wrote:

I personally will not purchase a download and I am sure  they lose many current and future customers, because of this decision. 

I understand your concern but you have missed a critical point; you won't be able to buy a CD from any other consumer-level income tax preparation software company.

Even H&R Block has discontinued the CD version of their software which is now download only.

As a result, unless you're planning to prepare your tax return online versus using installed software, you're going to be downloading the software (executable file) from some vendor.

Your opinion is noted, but it won't make a difference.

In case you didn't know, the downloaded program is the exact same software as the CD version.  The downloadable version is not crippled or different in any way. (The online-only version is very different, of course, but that's not what we are talking about.)  The CD is just a delivery system.  And, because the CD is mastered before the tax forms are finalized, even if you buy a CD, you always have to do one or more full downloads to update the software before you can file.  So the only thing that is changing is the method of putting that first, unfinished copy on your computer.  

We also believe (but have not 100% confirmed) that Turbotax boxes will still be sold in stores, like Staples, Costco, and Target.  The box will contain a code for a pre-paid download, rather than a physical CD, but you will still be able to use sales, coupons or other discounts in-store.  

well then you are going to either have to use an online version or use a pro. Others are also no longer offering a CD for 2024

No.  It's the exact same program.  The CD also is a download.  The CD downloads the program.  Now a link downloads the program.  There is nothing really on the CD.  You also always download the updates or the states you need.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies