turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am i eligible for injured spouse

My husband does not work and has back child support. I want to file jointly but I don't want my refund that i worked for to go straight to his back child support.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Just work it through the program to see if you qualify. Under the Other Tax Situations tab scroll down and select Misc Tax forms and start working the Injured/Innocent spouse from from there.

Would I claim injured spouse after I file and if only they send a notice of use of my refund for back child support? Because I have yet to file, in the process, just want to make sure I receive what I deserve. And thank you for your help
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Definitely file the injured spouse form with your tax return now because you do qualify.  Since your husband had no work, then all of the refund should be released to you.  It will take much longer to have the refund released if you wait and file the injured spouse form 8379 later.

You should expect a delay because the IRS will take some time to review but it will be release assuming the rest of the return is accurate because only you had earnings and do not have the debt.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies