turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Decree States spouse should pay 50% , what tax form to use?

My ex spouse and I filed for divorce last year that was resolved this year. We had outstanding debt of IRS taxes and in decree states spouse is responsible for paying 50% of it. It has been long time and spouse has not paid me her half.

What can I do? My lawyer will send an enforcement email, but say that does not work either. Is there something IRS can do or how does one go about all that? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

That is a legal issue and not a tax issue.   We cannot give legal advice.   The IRS  does  not get involved in domestic disputes, that is up to local courts to do.  Consult your attorney.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

the IRS doesn't really care unless an innocent spouse form was filed for a year and that only lets the spouse off in some cases.      without it, there is joint and severable liability.  basically the IRS can go after one or both of you.  if divorce was not final last year (2019) you can file either as married filing separate or joint with spouse's consent and of course including both your incomes on the return.   if your spouse has significant income but little or no tax payments to cover it, filing MFS would protect you from any liability she may have but this could result in higher taxes for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies