Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jim255

Data Import Security

I successfully imported my 2023 tax data from TD Ameritrade using my account# and Document ID Number as I have always done.

Charles Schwab acquired TDA partway through the year, so I now need to import the remaining 2023 data from my Schwab account but when I attempt to do so, TurboTax is requesting my actual User ID and Password to my Schwab account. I expected Schwab to request my Account# and Document ID as does TDA.

Should Intuit/TurboTax be requesting my actual Schwab account login ID and Password? I don't share that login info with anyone. I'm concerned that perhaps my PC or Intuit/Turbotax account may have been compromised by hackers/scammers and they are trying to get me to divulge my account login information. Shouldn't Turbotax be requesting my Schwab Account number and Document ID as does TD Ameritrade, MetLife, and other financial institutions do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Data Import Security

brokers that partner with Turbiotax have different requirements to import from them. One may require just the document ID and login info. Schwab/Intuit requires that you be logged into your Intuit account using your cellphone number,email address or user ID, Then depending on what you used a verification number is sent. you must respond to verify it's you.   Eventually, you get to the Schwab login screen that requires your log in credentials - ID and password. you must log in. Eventually, you get to your Schwab accounts screen which shows what accounts can be imported. check the ones you want. if you have Schwab accounts with different log-in info you can use the link button so that they will added in the future. until they are you'll need to go back and restart the procedure for the separate USER account 

once you get to Schwab all accounts linked will shown on the account list. Select those a/cs you want import.

close that window so you are back at Turbotax. It gives you the option of what tax forms to import from those accounts .

Schwab doesn't use the document ID method or account number

be careful with the Schwab 1099-B import. there have been reports that it uses as cost the value on the date transferred not the true cost from TD. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies