turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Covered under my parent's insurance up until I turned 26 in Nov 2016. I then covered myself through Healthcare.gov for the last month of last year. Do I need my parent's healthcare info on my tax return?

His insurance also mistakenly told me I was going to be dropped in January 2016 so for part of the year, I applied and had my own insurance. Just to find out I was still covered!!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Covered under my parent's insurance up until I turned 26 in Nov 2016. I then covered myself through Healthcare.gov for the last month of last year. Do I need my parent's healthcare info on my tax return?

If your parent's insurance was NOT Marketplace insurance, you don't need to enter anything from that other than saying you had insurance for those months.

If you had Marketplace insurance AND was still under your parent's insurance during the same month, you do not qualify for the Premium Tax Credit for that month.  That means you need to enter $0 in column B for those months.  TurboTax will give you an error for that, and will not let you e-file.  You will need to file by mail.

Thanks Bill.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies