Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rob G
Returning Member

Converting Assets to Personal Use (Carl's probably the right expert for these)

My rental property was a rental through 12/31 2019,  I converted it to a second home at the beginning of 2020.

1.  Is there a data entry for the date converted?  If so what date do I select 12/31/19 (last rental day) or 1/1/20 first day of second home?

2,.  How best to enter the conversion to personal use? - (a) in the rental property section enter zero days rented and zero days personal use only, and/or (b) check the "i didnt rent or try to rent this all year" box.  just item (b) seems to delete all reference to the property for 2020 return...which is fine except for question 3 below.

3.  The propertv includes an asset that used the special depreciation allowance and it will not have reached its end of life as of the conversion.  I know the depreciation impact on the basis/gain will be dealt with at the time I ever dispose of the property, but I have read conflicting info on reporting the special depreciation effect this year.  The TT Premier help on converting assets says "...there is no gain to report.  However you must report the section 179 recapture this year."  Is the reporting the recapture this year referring to the recalculation of the depreciation as MACRS straightline over its life time with the difference between it and the accumulated depreciation for the asset being considered income?  If so how does TT calculate this...especially if the rental property info is deleted since I did not rent the property all year (selecting item 1b above)

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies