Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Conversion of partnership shares to new series

in 2015 I invested in a partnership Series B shares which were converted to Series C in 2021. I received a FINAL K1 for the Series B shares and a new K1 for the Series C shares. When I click FINAL for the B shares Turbo tax askes for the sale details.  These were no sold but rather converted.   How do I record this transaction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

only the partnership can tell you what the tax consequences are. it could be a nontaxable exchange where no gain or loss is recognized or it could be fully or only partially taxable. you should have received info about the conversion beforehand

View solution in original post

4 Replies

BTW, the B shares have a $100,000 suspended loss carryover that gets me a big refund if I record as a sale

only the partnership can tell you what the tax consequences are. it could be a nontaxable exchange where no gain or loss is recognized or it could be fully or only partially taxable. you should have received info about the conversion beforehand

thanks Mike.  Did that and fudged Turbotax so it was not recognized as a sale.   Just need to get my deferred operating loss carryover moved to the new shares.

i would seek pro advice on the PAL from the old shares.   generally. a PAL is released when the property is sold in a fully taxable transaction. and if it's an operating loss rather than a PAL, they might be other tax consequences.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies