turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Confused about 1040-SR for Deceased Person

So... I'm filing on behalf of my mom, who passed early last year. It's a simple return. It now knows she is deceased and asks who is submitting the return. But, when it gets done and tells me I have to print and mail the forms, the SR shows no indication she is deceased and the only place to sign appears to be wanting her to sign, showing her as Retired. There is no place for a 3rd party to sign, other than for a Paid Preparer.

It seems like TT does not carry over the pertinent information of being deceased and someone else submitting the return to the forms themselves. OR, do I just sign for her and make some kind of notation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Instructions for Form 1040 state on page 12: The person who files the return must enter “Deceased,” the deceased taxpayer's name, and the date of death across the top of the return.

and on page 59: filers requesting the deceased taxpayer's refund must file the return and attach Form 1310.

You will need to sign according to your status, in her signature spot, see How to file a final tax return for someone who has passed.

The IRS has a quick  How Do I File a Deceased Person interactive assistant. It is very detailed and may give you additional information. 

See Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Instructions for Form 1040 state on page 12: The person who files the return must enter “Deceased,” the deceased taxpayer's name, and the date of death across the top of the return.

and on page 59: filers requesting the deceased taxpayer's refund must file the return and attach Form 1310.

You will need to sign according to your status, in her signature spot, see How to file a final tax return for someone who has passed.

The IRS has a quick  How Do I File a Deceased Person interactive assistant. It is very detailed and may give you additional information. 

See Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

Thanks for this good response. Sorry, I got busy. So if I'm NOT claiming a refund for the deceased person, do I still need the Form 1310. (I would think not.) 

Also, do I need to file for deceased person at all, if there is NO INCOME and NO REFUND?

Thanks!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No.  If your mom had no income she has no reason to file an income tax return.  Toss this one.

Sorry for your loss.

@Lonestar 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies