Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swtshe

complete fail

turboTax wouldn't let me file based on 2014–7 rule. Their automated service does not recognize it enough to let me file. Ask for Life help she fell asleep several times during the life Help when I shared my screen, I recorded her falling asleep this is not a person I trust with my taxes if you're falling asleep on the job, literally I'm so disappointed in TurboTax have used it for more than 20 years. This is disgusting and there's no way to get a hold of these people to let them know that there are employees are falling asleep yet. I'm supposed to get my best refund back. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

complete fail

You can enter a W-2 or other information return for IHSS wages in TurboTax following the IRS 2014-7 rule.

The help article for this issue was recently updated again. We are finding this year that different counties / payers are identifying the IHSS / difficulty of care income differently.

Many Forms W-2 issued for IHSS - IRS Notice 2014-7 income now show zero in Box 1, to indicate that it isn't subject to Federal income tax, but show the entire amount of wages paid in Box 3, Social Security wages. If you have an amount in Box 3, and you might qualify for Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, follow the instructions in this help article, which were recently updated:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open your return.
  2. Select Search, enter w-2, and select Jump to w-2.
  3. Enter all your W-2 info as shown on your form, except Box 1 (this is assuming that the W-2 Box 1 is blank or zero).
  4. Enter the amount reported in box 3 of your W-2 in Box 1.
  5. On the Let’s check for uncommon situations screen, select the box next to Nontaxable Medicaid waiver payments that qualify as difficulty of care payments.
  6. Enter the amount of Medicaid waiver payments into the difficulty of care payment you received from IHHS box.
    • This is the same amount reported in boxes 3 and 5 of your W-2.
    • Your payments are nontaxable, but TurboTax uses this number to calculate credits you may qualify for.
  7. When you get to the Earned Income Credit section in Deductions and Credits, we’ll ask if you want to add your Medicaid waiver payment to your income for this credit. You can answer based on what benefits you most.

If you follow these steps, you are entering income and then backing out the income, so that it isn't backed out twice, and so that you are not entering a zero in Box 1 which may prevent e-filing.

If you don't have any dollar amounts on your W-2, you qualify to exclude the income under IRS Notice 2014-7, and you don't expect to qualify for Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, then you don't need to enter the W-2 at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies