Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adam775

Community Property State error on return

2022 was my first year self employed and I live in Nevada. My taxes are quite a bit more complex than my wife's this year and I ignorantly thought that filing MFS would eliminate some of the confusion with our taxes. My wife filed yesterday MFS as a simple return through TT and in the process was never asked for my income even though we live in NV and she also filed using a standard deduction unaware that it would prevent me from filing an itemized return with my business. Today I went to file my return using TT Full Service and was refused service because I live in a Community Property State and am MFS. I filed an extension and paid what I hope are my full quarterly taxes for 2022. Will she be able to amend her return, or will her return be rejected? Unfortunately, her return is already in pending status and I am not sure how to proceed.

I also use QuickBooks Self-Employed and it helped tremendously for my accounting but I tried many times to find a CPA and was unsuccessful in 2022.  I was surprised that no questions were asked about my income and nothing was flagged while she was filing considering the state we live in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Community Property State error on return

Her return will likely not be rejected since the IRS has no way of knowing what her community property income is. She can amend her return to adjust her income to community property income. You can deduct your business expenses even if she uses the standard deduction method. That applies only to itemized deductions, not business deductions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies