Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VSN7
Returning Member

College student claimed as dependent

Tax question. My son 19 yrs  is in college 2nd year. He has W2(< 800) from college helping in the lab in the campus.   Also some investment I have on his name(not huge). Should I or not, include him in my tax return as dependent? I noticed, if I add him to our tax as dependent and mention the same on his return, his tax rate is our rate and charged $$ tax on the int/div on his return. I am not sure what am I going to loose if I don’t add him in our tax return. Can I even do that? He does not have income to support. I am paying his college fees and some from 529. 

On his return if I choose "he is not claimed as dependent" I see his  tax is $100 vs $1000. Don't know how it is calculating. I am guessing he is taxed on our rate instead of his rate for the div/int?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Is the unearned income (dividends) more than $2,500?  The Kiddie Tax applies if your child:

• has unearned income (usually from investments) exceeding $2,500
  • is required to file a return
  • isn’t filing jointly
  • is under age 19 (or 24 if a full-time student) as of January 1, 2024

For more information on the Kiddie Tax, see the TurboTax Article:  What is the Kiddie Tax?

As for claiming him on your tax return:  If he qualifies as your dependent, you don't have to claim him. but he has to indicate that someone CAN claim him as a dependent.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VSN7
Returning Member

Yes. I thought kiddie tax might have applied but questions is that should have been irrespective of he is claimed as dependent or not.  His invest int/div is > 2500.  Why for the same details, if he is not a dependent checked on his return his tax is $100 where as if I mark it as he is dependent on ours his tax is $1000?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you are filing as a dependent, your standard deduction is your earned income + $400. When you are filing on your own, the standard deduction is $13,850. That is a huge difference in taxable income.

Children who only have earned income from a job or self-employment, don’t make enough money to be required to file, or are filing jointly with their spouses are exempt from the Kiddie Tax.

@VSN7 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies