Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Clergy Expenses for startup Church Plant

My husband is a Sr. Pastor of a new church plant.  We both paid for the expenses (supplies and equipment needed for startup).  Can we list all the expenses under him?  We do have all the receipts.   Or do I need to list the items I paid for somewhere else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, include them in your husband's business return and there is no other place to enter these receipts.  As indicated in your other post, be sure to keep all receipts associated with the ministry Schedule C, as Pastor with the tax return so you always have the proof of expenses.  It doesn't matter whether you paid for them or your husband paid for them as long as they are needed to produce the income for this business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777  Thanks when you say for profit, this is for a church that is a non-profit.  However, the church will begin paying the Pastor in 2024 via a W2.  Does any of this matter for 2023?  Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get this right.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, it doesn't matter for 2023. The profit refers to the pastor only, not the church because in this case as is most, the church itself is nonprofit which is one of the reasons they have specific rules for reporting payments to pastors.

@aprcox20 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies