Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming my mother on my taxes. She has been living with me for over 6 months and made $0 last year. She has obamacare, do I need to add her obamacare to my taxes?

Claiming my mother on my taxes. She has been living with me for over 6 months and made $0 last year. She has obamacare, do I need to add her obamacare to my taxes?  What do I do about her obamacare.  I have my own insurance, not obamacare, my kids have their own insurance, not obamacare. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Claiming my mother on my taxes. She has been living with me for over 6 months and made $0 last year. She has obamacare, do I need to add her obamacare to my taxes?

Yes, you must report your mother's health insurance on your tax return.

Anyone listed on your tax return is considered part of your tax household, and you are required to report whether they had qualifying health insurance. In addition, if they did not have insurance, you will be assessed the penalty.

If your mother had Obamacare, she will get form 1095-A and you must report this on your return. Do not file until you receive this form, otherwise your refund will be delayed. Instructions on entering the 1095-A in TurboTax are below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4268797

View solution in original post

2 Replies
aalsay111

hoell
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you must report your mother's health insurance on your tax return.

Anyone listed on your tax return is considered part of your tax household, and you are required to report whether they had qualifying health insurance. In addition, if they did not have insurance, you will be assessed the penalty.

If your mother had Obamacare, she will get form 1095-A and you must report this on your return. Do not file until you receive this form, otherwise your refund will be delayed. Instructions on entering the 1095-A in TurboTax are below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4268797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies