turbotax icon
turbotax icon
turbotax icon
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming dependents

Next year my child’s mother and I will start trading off on who can claim her as a dependent.  We now split her time 50/50. 
I usually claim 2 on my federal for the past 6 years she has lived with me.  I noticed I claim 1 on my state; I’m not sure why they’re different. Maybe I forgot to change them both to 2. 
Can or should I adjust my w4 every year now? 
I want to maximize my take home pay without owing money at tax time. 
What should I be claiming, for both federal and state?

Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Claiming dependents

Great question!  Since this change will reflect your current year taxes and alternate each year I would definitley update your W4 form with your employer to account for the most up to date tax situation for you.  Besides updating W4 form with your employer I would use a tax calculator.  TaxCaster is a good one and I will add a helpful article on how to estimate federal withholding.



How to Estimate Federal Withholding 

W4 Calculator 


Manage cookies