Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

monica13
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: claiming boyfriend that meets all the required questions

My boyfriend has lived with me for a year and a half.  Ive supported 100% of everything the entire time.  He has not worked so had no income He is married technically but separated fr almost 2  yrs.  They arent filing taxes together or claiming the other on returns.  i cant find where to enter in his SSN. I didnt have it when i first came too this part so i continued on.  It says he qualifies me for tax credit on one page but then turns around and says he doesnt on another.  So which is it since he meets a the criteria?  If i enter in his SSN where ever i do that at will that help? Oh and Im an Oregon resident.

Thanks,

Monica

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: claiming boyfriend that meets all the required questions

go under the 'dependent' section and hopefully you'll see the box that requires the SS# 

I suspect the reason TT is giving you different answers is that the SS# is missing.  That is a requirement for the individual to be a dependent.

KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open your return in TurboTax, if you aren't already in it. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Select My Info on the left side navigation.
  3. Select the Edit next to his name and continue through the screens.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies