Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

City of Detroit taxes

Is City of Detroit taxes included in my michigan tax efile, I only see federal and Michigan (which only shows Michigan refund amount but not detroit). Please help if I should mail in or not

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

Yes, Detroit taxes are e-filed. No need to mail them in. When you look at your tax forms, you should see federal, state, and city returns. You had to select to file Detroit and go through the information.

See Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

City of Detroit taxes

Thanks AmyC! One follow up, will Detroit refund come back the same way you told state of Michigan to refund whether it’s via check or direct deposit? Or does city of Detroit always come back via a check in mail? Thanks!

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

If you selected direct deposit on your return, both refunds from the Michigan and the City of Detroit, should be deposited to your bank account.  

@Nick136 

City of Detroit taxes

Hi AmyC,

I have a similar question.  I already e-filed my federal return and MI return.  I didn't see the option to include Detroit tax for the e-filing.  Is Detroit tax e-filed with Michigan return by default?  

City of Detroit taxes

@AmyC  I selected to file for Detroit. I answered the questions. I paid for TurboTax to e-file. Yet upon submitting I only see my state and federal on the TurboTax home page. When I download my files it includes city forms, but is unclear whether they submitted or I still need to mail. Did they not e-file my city taxes? If so, it’s certainly not worth paying for any of their products ever again.

ZachU

City of Detroit taxes

What if you were not receiving a Michigan refund and instead used a bank account to pay Michigan tax amounts. Will the Detroit refund be processed by ach to the same bank account you paid with or by some other method?

There was no way to select an option for receiving the Detroit refund amount. Thanks in advance.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

I can read in Detroit Taxpayer Service Center FAQ's that it takes up to 6 weeks, more during peak, for them to examine your return before sending your refund. Since it is part of your MI return, they have your bank account but I don't see the processing rules used for Detroit.

@ZachU 

@SkyB27   @xu8088 

According to Detroit Income Tax division:

INDIVIDUAL CITY OF DETROIT INCOME TAX RETURNS FOR TAX YEARS 2015 AND FUTURE YEARS MUST BE FILED WITH THE STATE OF MICHIGAN

City of Detroit taxes

I selected file Detroit Nonresident when trying to do my MI City Tax return. But I did not get a message to edit Detroit Wages, Detroit Wage Adjustment, or working days allocation (or I may have overlooked that?). When completing this section it stated that my Detroit City return would be filed with my Michigan return. But when completing/purchasing the filing it only shows my Federal and State returns. Did I make a mistake? If so, how can I go back and file my Detroit City Return? Do I need to wait till my MI State Return is accepted to amend in order to go back and file the Detroit City Return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

1. Once you checked the box to file the city, the questions following it were related to the city return. It asked about Detroit residency, and gave you wages to edit and correct, then other incomes are questioned. If you failed to go through the Detroit return and make corrections, then it would be wrong. You should see Form 5120 as part of your tax return. If you need to amend it, you can.

2. If you selected to file Detroit, it would have filed as part of the MI return. The Detroit return is just one of the forms in the state return. Look for Form 5120.

3. You can amend Form 5120 and mail it in following the instructions at the bottom of the form. You can use the program to amend the form.

4. I would recommend waiting until MI is accepted, just in case there is an issue. Save a copy of what you filed before amending Detroit.

Detroit Income Tax Assistance and Information

(313) 224-3315

@tree2007 

City of Detroit taxes

Thank you for ALL your help. I believe I must of clearly missed the step to edit the Detroit Return. I do not have a form 5120 as part of my finalized federal/state return. Since I have already submitted my Federal (accepted) and MI Return (Pending)...should I file the Detroit City State Return separately through the regular paper mail or need to wait to amend the MI Return because it will affect it? Again I truly appreciate the help. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

Save a copy of what you filed. Then you can go in and amend the state program to get to Detroit city return. You can mail it in definitely. MI will allow you to efile an amended return so you should be able to efile.

Personally, I think I would amend to get the Detroit correct, then mail it in with tracking to ensure safe arrival and not mess with the state return.

@tree2007  Good luck and you are very welcome!

City of Detroit taxes

Amy, if I forgot to file my City of Detroit return can I go in and amend my Michigan return to do it?  Or do I have to file Detroit separately now?  I already received my State of Michigan refund.  Thank you so much!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

City of Detroit taxes

Since you already filed MI, you have to file the Detroit separately. You can go into the program to create the return and print it for you to mail.

Reference: 2023 City of Detroit Instruction Book

@dalabro88 

City of Detroit taxes

A follow up question.  how do I know if I filed my Detroit tax return or not?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies