Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Support Offset

Hi! 
I have 2 kids, share custody of one, and full custody of the other, and the dad of the first, opened a child support case on me, (long story even though we share him) Will my second child whom I claim, will her EIC and child tax credit all be taken or garnished? I  feel that’s unfair as those programs are supposed to help and yes I agree I needed to stay on top of my payments. (I got hurt really bad and stopped working for a little bit) 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Child Support Offset

It depends.  If you claim a child that lives with you for the full tax year and you are not required to pay support for that child, you will not lose any of the earned income credit (EIC) or the child tax credit (CTC) you are entitled to on your tax return.  However, if you have a delinquent amount of child support you are required to pay, and the state has issued a statement of delinquency to the IRS, then any amount due can be taken from your overall refund on your tax return.

As far as the other child, regardless of the state custody agreement, the federal tax law simply counts the days living with each of you.  Whoever has had the child the highest number of days in the tax year is entitled to claim that child.  See the link below for a qualifying child on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies